The Burns family was a wealthy group of businessmen, and one of the wealthiest and most powerful families in the state of Springfield. The first known ancestor was Charles O'Neal Burns, and the last descendants were children of Larry Burns, the son of Mr. Burns, who is the founder of the nuclear power plant. The family was established in 1668.
- Charles O'Neal Burns (Unknown - Before 1772) marries Elizabeth Burns and has a son named Franklin Jefferson Burns in 1743.
- Franklin Jefferson Burns (1743 - 1820) married an unnamed woman, who gives birth to Colonel Burns.
- Colonel Burns (1814 - 1910s) married Evelyn Graycomb and has Clifford Burns with her.
- Clifford Burns (1860s - 1940s) marries Daphne Charles and has at least 11 children, including Charles Montgomery Burns and George Burns. At this time, Daphne either cheats on Clifford, or has had another partner, and has given birth to Clifford's stepchildren (Zeph, Cornelia, Cornelius).
- Charles Montgomery Burns conceives a child with Lily Bancroft, who names her son Larry. Larry eventually marries and has children of his own.