He presumably formulated Project Bootstrap, which was a government program that mandated hiring more inept people to enter various jobs (with it being implied that Homer being hired to the plant, and to a certain extent, his being Safety Inspector of Sector 7G was due to this project).
Immediately after George H. W. Bush moved out of the big house on Evergreen Terrace, Ford moved in. In sharp contrast to Bush, who Homer got along with very poorly, he and Ford became friends immediately. They discovered they had a lot of things in common, including a love for football, nachos and beer. They were also both prone to clumsiness (shown when he and Homer both tripped over the sidewalk.) Homer took a photograph of him and Ford and showed it to Frank Grimes when he visited The Simpsons's House.
He was also brought in by Krusty the Clown for the latter's Comedy Special, mostly because the other good presidents refused. He then gave a speech regarding the history of the boy scouts of America while unaware of Krusty making faces behind his back and a flashing of "boring" across the screen until he turned around. Krusty when covering for himself attempted to ask about his wife Betty while misnaming her Nancy.
Behind the laughter
- Gerald Ford was the 38th President of the United States, serving from 1974 to 1977. He has the historical distinction of being the only person to serve as both Vice-President and President without being elected to either office. Ford was appointed Vice-President when Spiro Agnew (who served as Vice-President under Richard Nixon) resigned in October 1973, and succeeded to the Presidency when Nixon resigned in August 1974.
- In spite of his past athletic accomplishments (such as playing football in college as well as being a devout golfer and playing basketball whilst serving in the US navy in WWII), Ford acquired a reputation for being clumsy when he tripped and fell down the steps of Air Force One in 1975. He passed away on December 26, 2006 at the age of 93.
- Episode – "Homer Defined" (Mentioned)
- Episode – "Two Bad Neighbors"
- Episode – "Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious"
- Episode – "Homer's Enemy" (In photograph with Homer)
- Episode – "Homer's Phobia" (Name seen)
- Episode – "Days of Future Future" (seen in a picture with Homer)
- Episode – "'Tis the 30th Season" (animatronic)
- Book – Flanders' Book of Faith (mentioned)