Hortense Simpson first appeared when Bart briefly died. Hortense is said to have died later though The Simpson family expects to inherit her estate, but instead each member is given $100 (except for Maggie). The rest was given to Ann Landers (as stated in Hortense's will).
Since there have been two people mentioned being named "Aunt Hortense", there has been a lot of theories behind it.
- The name was passed down. One could be Homer's aunt and another Homer's great aunt.
- There could be two people of the same name related to the Simpsons.
- The events of "Bart Gets Hit by a Car" could have been before "Bart the Fink".
- The will could have been lost for a long time.
- Bart thought she was dead, but she was not.
- It could have been an oversight by the producers.