- Bart's vision of Marie and Pierre Curie, inventors of radium, are much like Godzilla, complete with the Japan setting.
- Smithers' song and dance number at Jack Marley's retirement party are reference to the 1941 film, Citizen Kane.
- The music from The Empire Strikes Back plays while Mr. Burns surveys his monitors in his office.
- As a subplot in the story, Bart cries 'wolf' to get out of a test, in reference to The Boy Who Cried Wolf. Also befitting the subplot is that Bart is not believed when he is attacked by an actual wolf.
- Tom Jones appears singing his son It's Not Unusual
- Lisa claims that Pierre and Marie Curie both died of radiation poisoning. Only Marie Curie's death was due to radiation poisoning. Pierre Curie died of a fractured skull as a result of an accident with a horse carriage.