- “Red Barclay's my name. I'm a trucker, and I've eaten steaks from coast to coast with taters and toast.”
- ―Red Barclay, introducing himself
He and Homer had a contest to see who could finish the largest steak on the menu, the 16 pound "Sir Loin-A-Lot". In the end, Red wins and keeps his title of champion (he was the only person other than Tony Randall to succeed in eating the steak in one hour), but suddenly dies of beef poisoning.
Homer takes over his job, since he still has one more delivery to make (artichokes and migrant workers).
It's also implied that he tends to be placed in a bag at times, as when Homer described Red's fate to the guy he delivered the last delivery to, the man chuckled and said "Yeah, that sounds like Red, all right."
Non canonIn The Simpsons Game, after Homer wins the Duff Ultimate Eating Challenge, he was presented with a championship belt named after Red.
- 'Reliable Red Barclay' is Red Barclay's nickname when he is announced just before the beginning of the contest.
- Red actually blinks after he's supposedly been killed by beef poisoning.
- Though Red died during his debut, he can be seen in the Angry Mob scene in The Simpsons Movie.
- Episode – "Maximum Homerdrive"
- Comic story – Ghøst Bashers
- – The Simpsons Movie
- Video game – The Simpsons Game (mentioned)
- Video game – The Simpsons: Tapped Out (indirectly mentioned)