The Russian Federation (or simply just called Russia) is a country in Eurasia and is currently the largest country in the world. It was formerly part of the Soviet Union, or the U.S.S.R (Union of Soviet Socialist Republics), a former federation of communist republics that occupied the northern half of Asia and part of eastern Europe from 1917, to its fall in 1991. The country served on the Vietnam War The country rivaled the United States of America during the Cold War, lasting from the end of World War II, to the fall of communism in 1991.
In "Simpson Tide", when the Captain goes to check on a problem in the torpedo hatch, Homer is left in charge. At this point, an enemy submarine approaches Homer's, and Homer immediately responds by giving the order to fire a torpedo. However, Captain Tenille is in the torpedo hatch and is fired at the other submarine. The other sub fires back at them, and Homer gives the order to retreat. The submarine ends up in Russian waters and is interpreted by the United States government as an attempt to defect. This event creates a political schism between the USA and Russia; the Russian government reveals that the Soviet Union still exists, and that its fall was merely a ruse. Nuclear war is anticipated until the US Navy drops depth charges on Homer's sub, aiming either to destroy it or force it to surface. The consequent explosion causes a pinhole leak in the submarine's wall. The crew all believe their situation is fatal until Homer remembers the earring he took from Bart. He uses it to plug the leak and saves the submarine.It was secretly preparing to openly turn back into the Soviet Union (which faked its fall) when no one knew about it. Homer got into trouble with them while he was in the navy.
Russia's curling team also finished third in the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, which the USA won. There is also a Russian District in Springfield which is very much like it is in Russia with things like street chess games.
- Episode – "Treehouse of Horror II" Mentioned
- Episode – "Lisa the Vegetarian" Mentioned
- Episode – "Two Bad Neighbors" Mentioned
- Episode – "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" (Mentioned)
- Episode – "Simpson Tide"
- Episode – "Lost Our Lisa"
- Episode – "The Great Money Caper" Mentioned
- Episode – "The Old Man and the Key" Mentioned
- Episode – "Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore" Mentioned
- Episode – "Boy Meets Curl" Curling Team
- Episode – "The Fabulous Faker Boy" Mentioned
- Episode – "From Russia Without Love" Mentioned