Surly is the only one of the Seven Duffs who speaks. True to his name, Surly has a surly and cynical demeanor. Everything he says either has a cynical undercurrent behind it or is a direct put-down:
- "Hey, Surly only looks out for one guy ... Surly!"
- "Shut up."
- "Take a picture, it'll last longer. Get outta here!"
- While greeting people at the Duff Dayz Beer Festival, Surly says in a loud voice, "Drink Duff!" Then he covers his mouth with his hand and adds "Responsibly," in a much quieter voice.
Surly has also been seen in public on occasions when he wasn't acting as a representative for Duff Beer. When Marge Simpson accidentally got breast implants, Surly was among a crowd of men leering at her enhanced figure.
In 2004, Surly Duff was featured in Homer's ad as being a fellow member of Families Come First along with Kirk Van Houten, Bumblebee Man, and The Frank Nelson Type.
Non-CanonIn The Simpsons: Hit and Run, Surly and the other Duffs can be seen on a rotating poster in Moe's Tavern.
Behind the Laughter
- The Seven Duffs are an obvious reference to, and pun on, the Seven Dwarfs from the Disney animated movie Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
- Surly is one of only four Duffs named in their first appearance in "Selma's Choice." (The other three named in the episode were Tipsy, Queasy and Remorseful.)
- He Was Replaced By Duffman