Wiki Targeted (Entertainment)
Do you like this video?
|There's No Disgrace Like Home||
- This episode was the first to be broadcast by the BBC, on BBC One on November 23, 1996, making it the first episode to be seen by UK terrestrial viewers (the satellite channel, Sky One, had aired the show since September 2, 1990). BBC Two first broadcast the episode a day after, on November 24, 1996. When the show moved to BBC Two on March 10, 1997, the show continued to air on the BBC until they aired the show one last time on May 7, 2004 before the terrestrial rights were moved to Channel 4 on November 5, 2004.
- This was the first episode to be broadcast in Australia on Channel 10 in early 1991.
- In Italy, this episode was first broadcast on November 5, 1991 on Canale 5.
- A sign outside Burns Manor reads, "Poachers will be shot."
- This is the first broadcast episode of the series that Bart says his catchphrase, "Don't have a cow, man!". He had already said it in the Tracey Ullman shorts.
- This is the first episode that the Simpsons have been shot at.
- This is the first episode that Maggie smiles. (In this episode, she grins while pressing the buttons in her shock chair as the rest of the family shock themselves.)
- The phone number for Dr. Monroe's Family Therapy Center is 1-800-555-HUGS.
- This is only one of two episodes on the Season 1 boxset to end with the 1988 20th Television Fox logo that was used on the first three seasons of the show. The only other episode to have it is "Krusty Gets Busted". Every other episode has the 20th Television logo.
- When Homer says that he and his family will have to dig deep and orders Marge to go get the kids' college fund, in the background, the bear on the lower shelf near the right stereo speaker looks exactly like Mr. Burns' bear Bobo.
- Bart and Lisa's college fund amounts to $88.50.
- The Simpson family's TV is a Motorola.
- The Great Family that Homer encounters at the end of Mr. Burns' picnic is seen again later, behind the Simpsons at Dr. Monroe's office.
- Marvin Monroe keeps his aggression therapy mallets in a gun cabinet.
- The family acts wildly out of character in this episode: Homer is much more caring and actually suggests to eat at the dinner table instead of watching TV. He also brings up the subject of selling the TV, something Homer typically would never think of doing, and is embarrassed of his family being dysfunctional (usually, Marge or Lisa would be the ones embarrassed). Marge is a drunkard who behaves a lot like Homer. While Bart and Maggie have the same personalities, Lisa seems to act much more bratty, which is reminiscent of her actions on the Tracy Ullman Show. The writers on the DVD commentary have noted this, and wrote off the mistakes as an experiment.
- Mr. Burns looking at an index card to greet the Simpson family is a reference to Ronald Reagan, who was known to use index cards to greet families at his parties.
- The family that exits out of Dr. Monroe's office before the Simpsons enter look like the Simpsons themselves.
- Mr. Burns says Bart as "brat", which is an anagram for Bart.
- When Marge says, "Homie, did you try the punch?" while drunk at the picnic, her lips don't move.
- When the Simpsons are spying on the Old Dad, the Son and the Knitting Grandma, all three of them disappear and then reappear between shots. Whenever there is a wide shot from outside the house, they are not there, but when there is a close shot from outside or inside, they are there.
- As Homer carries the TV towards the pawn shop in the first shot, the left window is clear. When he and his family get in front of the shop, the window now has a decal that reads, "Pawn Shop". The writing is in black, but in the next two shots, the writing is now dark brown.
- During the Dr. Monroe's Family Therapy Center commercial, a Troubled Dad and a Troubled Mom shout at each other until their Troubled Son enters and tells them to both shut up. This ends in a freeze frame, and the mother has a sad expression on her face, even when Dr. Marvin Monroe enters and is first seen. However, when Dr. Monroe says, "...or double your money back! So call today!", the mom's frozen expression is different (you can see this over his right shoulder).
- When Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie are watching a documentary that shows a bald eagle giving food to his eaglets, the narrator mentions the eagle as "the father of the family". A couple of seconds later, the narrator mentions the eagle as the "mother".
- In this episode, Homer stated that his mother said that he was a big disappointment but later episodes show them having a close relationship.
- If the family needed more money to go to Dr. Marvin Monroe, then how come they didn’t use an ATM machine?
- When Homer drives the family home from Mr. Burns’ party Maggie is nowhere to be seen in the car.
- This could be possible that Maggie is small compared to Homer's seat.
Appearances in other media
- There's No Disgrace Like Home made a cameo appearance in the 1990 film Die Hard 2: Die Harder. The scene of the Simpson family at Dr. Monroe's clinic shocking each other appears on Holly McClane's flight; ironically it is shown right after a stewardess says that the passengers are getting restless about not landing (terrorists had captured the runways and prevented any flights from landing), and the captain suggests to her "TV, that usually calms the passengers down."
- The Wizard of Oz: title is a pun to "there's no place like home".
- Citizen Kane: Burns Manor is based on the mansion from the movie.
- Batman: Homer's "stately Burns Manor" is a pun.
- Freaks: repetition of "one of us".
- Hey, Brother, Pour the Wine: Marge sings it.
- A Clockwork Orange: the shock therapy scene is a parody.
- L'amour est bleu: playing in Dr. Marvin Monroe's Family Therapy Center.
|◄ Shorts: Season 3||Season 1 References/Trivia||Season 2 ►|
|Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire • Bart the Genius • Homer's Odyssey • There's No Disgrace Like Home • Bart the General • Moaning Lisa • The Call of the Simpsons • The Telltale Head • Life on the Fast Lane • Homer's Night Out • The Crepes of Wrath • Krusty Gets Busted • Some Enchanted Evening|